Straight from our favorite food blogger and #pbfamily, Claire from The Kitchy Kitchen gives us the run down on how to make the signature dish from our "A Rainy Day Dinner Party."
Here's what you'll need to make this heirloom tomato salad with roasted eggplant, feta and crispy pita chips!
- 3 cups tomatoes, wedged or chopped into 2 inch sections
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 small eggplant (net 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon sumac (or lemon zest if you can't find it)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili
- salt and pepper
- 1 pita, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup basil, chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup feta, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and sprinkle with garlic, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Slice the eggplant into 1 inch thick slices. Drizzle with half of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, sumac, chili and cumin. Drizzle the pita with the remaining olive oil and some salt and pepper. Cook both in the oven for 15 minutes. Flip the eggplant and cook for another 10 minutes until the pita is golden brown and the eggplant is tender.
- Chop the eggplant into 1 inch sections and add to the tomatoes. Add the herbs, drizzle with olive oil and balsamic, and sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper. Stir to combine and then add the pita and feta, stirring a couple of times to combine.