Friday, November 16, 2012

pb family: thanksgiving recipes

with turkey day quickly approaching...
travel plans, recipes, and a gobbling appropriate outfit are in order!
to get us in the holiday mood, we asked some of our pb family peeps
what they're up to, wearing, and cooking!! 
take notes on the yummy-ness and cozy-ness >>
Wildfox Couture Co-Owner + Creative Director Kimberley Gordon

Where are you spending Thanksgiving?
I've been so many places for it, but this year I'm going to see my parents in Santa Barbara!

Your go-to outfit...
Since it's always pretty casual with the family and very cold, I always bring black UGG boots (I'm going to buy some sequin ones for this trip!). I like to dress quite cozy and conservative for dinner...maybe a cashmere sweater with a white button down shirt underneath. 

I love the Cashmere Pow Wow Sweater or the Deep Raglan Pullover by Minnie Rose. I would wear those with Patterson J. Kincaid Mallow Sequin Blouse or the Gypsy Junkies Lovespell Collared Shirt underneath. I'm really into skirts too, so maybe I'd pair it with the Blue Life Bias Skirt.

Favorite Thanksgiving ritual?
Probably washing up with all my siblings after the meal and watching my dad get drunk!

Favorite dish or recipe you'd love to share:
My favorite dish is my dad's English roast potatoes. He's made them since I was a kid living in the UK. So good!

I also really love the blog What Kate Ate (try her garlic and truffle roast chicken)

Ingredients:

- 1.7kg-2kg free-range chicken                            
- 2 tbsp softened butter                                         
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced                                  
- 1 brown onion, peeled and finely diced             
- 450g large brown mushrooms                           
- 2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped                     
- large handful parsley, finely chopped
- 300g pork sausage meat
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
- 5 cups breadcrumbs 
- 1/2 tsp white truffle oil (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 180˚C/350˚F.
  2. In a large saucepan warm one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat; add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5-7 minutes until slightly softened.
  3. In a mixing bowl add the mushrooms, walnuts, parsley, sausage meat, thyme leaves and breadcrumbs along with the truffle oil (if using) and sautéed onions and garlic. Mix all together thoroughly seasoning with a good pinch of salt and generous amount of freshly ground black pepper.
  4. To make the basting butter, mixed softened butter and minced garlic together. Place your hands under the skin on the top of the chicken to loosen the skin between the breasts. Add a teaspoon or two of the butter under the skin and spread all over the breast area. Take the remaining butter and again using your hands, smear it all over the outside skin area of the chicken, covering all the skin, wings, legs etc. Season well with a little salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
  5. Add stuffing into the cavity of the chicken, place in a roasting tray along with some garlic bulbs and roast the bird in the oven for 1.5 hours or until the juices in the thigh area run clear.
  6. Serve warm with accompanying veggies. 
 Model + Swimwear Designer Tori Praver

Where do you spend your Thanksgiving?
Usually to my Aunts house where my whole family gathers for the day.

Your go-to outfit...
I love to wear a cute, cozy sweater and some comfy boots. I like to be comfortable to lounge around and eat! I love this 360Sweater top and the whole look from Planet Blue!

Favorite Thanksgiving ritual?
I LOVE to cook, so for the past few years I have been into helping cook the feast! I wake up early in the morning and my mom and I cook together all day in the kitchen while watching the Thanksgiving Day parade, which I have watched since I was a little girl.

Favorite dish or recipe you'd love to share:
Like I said, I love to cook but I especially love to bake.Aside form the many pies and treats I make, my favorite it this yummy pumpkin bread. I use coconut oil and applesauce instead of water to make it more moist and also add chocolate chips. You will want to make this all winter long! 


The Two Bandits Jewelry Designer Tamar Wider

Where do you spend your Thanksgiving?
My parents house in Dallas, Texas. 

Your go-to outfit...
Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday. It's the only time of year my whole family gets together at my parents house in Texas. As for my outfit, always a cozy cropped sweater and high waisted distressed bells with a whole lota 2B jewels, of course. I'm looking forward to wearing my new One Teaspoon Chief Jacket. That's what my typical "cozy" outfit.

Favorite Thanksgiving ritual?
My parents don't really cook but my mom does Tex Mex really well. Her tortilla soup is beyond. When everyone walks in the house, they know they will have tortilla soup with a scoop of guacamole on top, serious ritual at the Wider rez. 

Also, we aren't traditional, we love our Tex Mex and the turkey is barley touched but the  BBQ ribs are gone every year. Around 6pm we go and see a movie as a family, like 15 of us, for real. My grandmother always talks so loud in the theatre as if there is no one in there. She loves pulling the "I'm old, I can do what I want" card.

Favorite dish or recipe you'd love to share:
I don't make anything but it's never Thanksgiving unless there is guacamole, BBQ ribs, and tortilla soup...all staples at the Wider's.

Cammy Lyn Hebert + Cologne Schmidt of Show Me Your Mumu

Where do you spend your Thanksgiving?
Cammy: Our family farm, "Hebert Farm" on the bayou outside of New Orleans, LA. We drink out of Solo cups, ride horses, build bonfires, visit the local Wal Mart, & take naps. Its heaven. 

Cologne: Every Thanksgiving I go to my family's vineyard in Paso Robles, CA. It's always so beautiful out there, and sometimes we get to help with harvesting the grapes.

Your go-to outfit...
Cologne: In November, it's really cold, so I usually wear something festive but warm for Thanksgiving dinner. One of my fav outfits for this year will be my Mumu Pocahontas Fringe Top, with the our Jess Jacket in Black Stretch.  I would pair these with a maxi skirt or bell bottoms like Blue Life's Knit Pants, or a Blue Moon Maxi Skirt like the Eyelit Slit Skirt.  And I always wear my Ariat or Old Gringo cowboy boots when I'm at the Ranch.

Cammy: Since we go to the family farm in Cajun country outside of New Orleans and it's super casual. Denim. Boots. Comfy. Flowy. My outfit of choice: Mumu Beaux Beaux Kimono, a little tank layered with a few Love Heals necklaces and over a pair of One Teaspoon jean shorts and Vintage Zodiac cowgirl boots. Perfect. 

Favorite Thanksgiving ritual?
Cammy: Playing with "Mucho" the beloved, but temperamental family donkey, feeding the pigs leftovers, and watching lots and lots of football. 

CologneEvery year my family walks to the top of the vineyard at sundown and my dad lights a big fire. We drink red wine, eat cheese, and hang out by the fire until it gets too cold, and then we go inside and eat our big dinner.

Favorite dish or recipe you'd love to share:
Cologne: My favorite thing to make for Thanksgiving is usually roasted sweet potatoes, or roasted Brussel Sprouts. My boyfriend is from Australia, and this is his first American Thanksgiving, so he really wants to cook the Turkey this year. I'm making a semi-healthy stuffing for his turkey with some of my fav things. Here's the recipe 

Cammy: Granny's Chicken & Sausage Gumbo. See below for the recipe :)

Ingredients:

- 3 large white onion, minced
- bunch celery, minced
- 2 bell peppers, minced
- 64oz - 96oz chicken broth
- seasonings (Tony Chachere's creole seasoning, red pepper, pepper, Tabasco)
- smoked sausage - 2 long links (I sometimes do more because my family likes the sausage the best!)
- 2 rotisserie chickens
- bunch green onions, chopped

Roux: ¾ cup oil & ¾ cup flour


Directions:
  1. Brown flour and oil in a large pot until it is a dark brown color (the color of a penny), stir constantly so it doesn’t burn. You may add a few drops of Kitchen Bouquet to make it darker. (Shortcut: If you can find Tony Chachere’s Instant Roux  Mix or Savoire’s Roux in a jar it works just as well)
  2. Add 3 white onions chopped, bunch celery chopped, 2 bell peppers chopped – Saute in roux until tender. (Shortcut: buy your vegetables already chopped at the grocery).
  3. Add about 64 oz of Chicken Broth to roux mixture, cook about 30 minutes.  You may add more broth or water if it seems too thick. I like Gumbo more brothy not so thick.
  4. Add seasonings at this time: Tony Charchere’s, salt pepper, red pepper, etc.  Don’t go overboard people can always add more when they serve themselves.
  5. Slice sausage, put them in another pot and cover them with water.  Bring the sausage to a boil and let them boil for about 5 minutes then strain them and add to the roux mixture.  This takes some of the grease out.  Cook 45 minutes, while cooking if a layer of grease and oil forms on top, scoop off as much as possible with a spoon.
  6. Add chicken and cook another 30 minutes.
  7. The longer the gumbo cooks the better the flavor, my family usually likes it better the 2nd day.
  8. Make a large pot of white rice. Serve gumbo in a bowl over white rice.
Blue Life Designer Kerry Ferante 

Where do you spend your Thanksgiving?
We change things up every year, so it's fitting that we'll be having our first CA Thanksgiving as new West coasters.

Your go-to outfit...
I usually wear a special vintage piece for Thanksgiving, but for my first California turkey day, I'm thinking this Jen's Pirate Booty dress would be perfect!

Favorite Thanksgiving ritual?
We always get raw oysters on T-day so our family tradition is to toast the beginning of dinner with "oyster shooters": shot glass, 1 raw oyster in the bottom of the glass, dollop of cocktail sauce, and finished off with vodka. Bottoms up :)

Favorite dish or recipe you'd love to share:
I made this salty caramel-apple pie recipe last year and it was a huge hit, so i'll stick with it this year too.  You can never go wrong with apple pie.

Marisa Spinella + Arielle Vavasseur of Penelope and Coco

Where do you spend your Thanksgiving?
Marisa: Most of the time I stay here in LA and have dinner with friends and I travel to the east
coast and Germany (where my sister lives) for Christmas. Last year I was in San
Diego with my boyfriend’s family. Every year is different, but I’m always really full
no matter where I am.

Arielle: I’m from L.A. so I’m here with family every year. We make all the usual rounds to
family members’ houses. This will be the first year Thanksgiving is at my place!

Your go-to outfit...
Arielle: For Thanksgiving, I generally like to feel comfortable, but it usually isn’t THAT
cold in L.A. yet. I like the Stylestalker Gold Finger sequin short from Planet Blue
and paired with a comfy cropped sweater.

Marisa:usually try and wear a really comfortable outfit that is still pulled together and
chic. Maybe a great stretch leather pant and cozy sweater. Love the new Free

Favorite Thanksgiving ritual?
Marisa: I always bake around the holidays…themed desserts are my favorite like turkey
shaped cookies.

Arielle: For the past few years I have volunteered with Meals on Wheels and UPS on
Thanksgiving morning delivering meals to the elderly who don’t have any family
to cook for them. It’s nice to do every year!

Favorite dish or recipe you'd love to share:
Arielle: Last year I found a recipe for “Stuffins”! It’s stuffing but made into cute little mini muffins! It’s so easy to make!

Ingredients:

- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth*
- 1 (10-ounce) package Stuffing Mix
- 1 cup sautéed chopped mushrooms (portobello recommended)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sage
- 1 egg, beaten

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 12-muffin tin with butter; set aside. In a small pot, bring broth to a boil.
  2. In a large bowl, gently stir together stuffing mix, broth and butter until just combined; set aside to let cool
  3. until just warm. Add mushrooms, onion, cranberries, sage and egg and fold together until well combined.
  4. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the mixture into each muffin cup and bake until hot throughout and golden brown,
  5. about 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and serve.
Marisa: I love mashed potatoes! My mom always made the best. It’s probably the easiest and most delicious thing to make.

Ingredients:

- 8 medium russet potatoes
- 1 head peeled garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), cut into small pieces


Directions:

  1. Peel potatoes and quarter lengthwise; cut crosswise 1/2 inch thick. Combine potatoes and garlic cloves; cover with water (about 8 cups) by 1 inch. Add 1tablespoon salt.
  2. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are easily pierced - 25 to 30 minutes.
  3. Drain; return garlic and potatoes to pan. Stir over medium-high heat until dry, 1 to 2 minutes.
  4. In a small saucepan, bring milk to a boil; pour over potatoes. Add butter and 1 teaspoon of salt. Mash until smooth and creamy.
Natalie B Jewelry Designer Natalie Balker

Where do you spend your Thanksgiving?
Besides Christmas, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday especially this Thanksgiving since i recently got engaged and will be bringing my fiance. What I cherish most about Thanksgiving is gathering together and sharing memories with family and close friends. We are talking about 25 people:) 

Ever since I can remember we have celebrated at my mother's house here in Southern CA but this year we will all be up in Hood River Oregon at my sisters house.

Your go-to outfit...
This usually is a very festive event but I tend to take it up a notch even more. I am so excited to wear my new Blu Moon Velvet Tail Capewhich I will pair this with one of my favorite Hepburn Vintage rhinestone necklaces, my cozy skinny Joe's Jeans also from PB and a pair of killer black boots. 

Favorite Thanksgiving ritual?
We have this crazy family tradition which we call the "turkey shoot" this involves my younger nephews drawing a big Turkey like a dart board. All family members must participate whether it be my 10 yr old nephew to my 85 yr old great aunt. You get one shot and whoever gets closest to the bulls-eye wins a prize. We all get quite a kick out of this!! Oh and we use a bb gun and there are no live animals involved!

After the turkey shoot we have an early dinner. I love this because it is so loud you almost need to wear earplugs at the dinner table with so many people chatting away. After we succumb to our food coma the men usually play pool and they women gather around and catch up on the years events. Now that some of my nieces and nephews are getting older they like to perform for us, playing their guitars, drums and sing for us. They are actually quite good!!

Favorite dish or recipe you'd love to share:
At the dinner table, we have a huge smorgasbord of traditional and non-traditional Thanksgiving foods. My favorite dish that I make is a huge hit...Natalie B Famous Butternut Squash Casserole! It tastes very similar to a sweet potato souffle, with a custard like texture...YUM! YUM!!!

Ingredients: 

1 butternut squash
1 cup white sugar 
1 1/2 cups milk  
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract   
1 pinch of salt 
2 tablespoons of all-purpose flower
3 eggs
1/4 cup margarine, MELTED TOPPING
1/2 (16 oz) package of vanilla wafers, crushed
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1 cup brown sugar

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425°F
  2. Put butternut squash in the microwave and cook on high until soft, 2-3 mins. Cut in half, scoop out seeds, (peel with peeler)and cube. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add squash & cook till tender, about 15 mins. Drain & mash.
  3. In a 9 x 13" casserole dish combine 3 cups mashed butternut squash, white sugar, milk, vanilla extract, salt, flour, eggs & 1/4 cup melted margarine.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 mins. or until set.
  5. In a medium bowl combine crushed vanilla wafers, 1/2 cup melted margarine & brown sugar. Crumble over top of cooked casserole & return to oven to brown.
  6. THAT'S IT....try this! I can promise you it will be a big hit.

No comments :

Post a Comment